For those who are new to SEO, you may wonder how to optimize your website to improve ranking.
Here is an effective Search Engine Optimization (SEO) process circle consisting of 9 steps to follow to help you succeed in your SEO campaign.
I. SEO Research Process
Step 1: Product Research
The initial phase in the SEO Process circle is Product Research. It is one of the critical factors in any Search Engine Optimization (SEO) initiative.
When researching on the product, we must know as much as possible about the product, identify characteristics, strengths and weaknesses, advantages and disadvantages, the competitiveness of the targeted product.
Product research will help you to identify product features, whether the product is basic or advanced, from which offer SEO consultancy (with fee charged or not).
It is very important for us to better understand product or service, otherwise it will be very difficult for us to SEO.
Step 2: Customer Research
After understanding the product, we will proceed with Customer Research.
This step is also a very important part. If we can’t identify our customers, it is very hard for us to do SEO successfully.
Upon research on customers, we should try to figure out the user or buyer, user’s demographic (age, gender, geographical data, language, device (computer, mobile…), buying behavior, product’s properties (color, superior, authentic…), branding, nation, online behavior…
All of these factors will serve as a basis for us to insert the link and launch keywords later.
Step 3: SEO Methodology
After the step of Customer Research, we continue with choosing SEO methods which means that you will determine to follow Keyword SEO or SEO Audit.
Keyword SEO means that you SEO keywords that we can sell product right away, while SEO Audit means that you can SEO keywords that help you to approach potential customers, like writing an article to approach potential buyers.
Step 4: Keyword Research
So we should identify which keywords that we can sell product right away and which keywords helping us to approach potential customers.
Keywords may directly determine the success of an SEO campaign.
You mays takes time to find out a group of words and phrases to use in optimization. Keywords selected should be those with a high rate of use by searchers and low competition in the same search result.
There exist many online keyword research tools that can support you in this.
An effective way is to list out the 10 most-used words or phrases by searchers with less competition on search results. You can expand words and phrases related to your targeted keyword.
Step 5: Landing Page Identifying
After having the list of targeted keywords, you will move to identify Landing Page. In short, it means identifying what pages your audience will land on.
So what is Landing Page? Landing Page is a destination URL providing contents of product, service, or information to users.
Landing Page can be categorized into three main types: Landing Page for SEO, Landing Page for Sales, and the combined Landing Page (for SEO and Sales).
Landing Page for SEO can be the homepage, category… While Landing Page for Sales is normally a page containing all information of product/ service. Each type of Landing Page will serve different effects and performance.
When designing a Landing Page, you should:
- Identify your expected type of Landing Page
- Write Title, Description, Select Featured Image (thumbnail), Rich Snippets (SEO)
- Draft the layout, choose message to communicate to customers
- Design Landing Page with a focus on boosting Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)
- Develop plans for A/B Test (use rel=”canonical” or noindex to avoid overlapping content when doing SEO)
- Choose analytics, evaluation solutions on each Landing Page
- For SEO, you need to obtain other knowledge about techniques, tactics, tips, and tricks to increase time on page, boost page view…
For designing Landing Page for Sales, you can find a number of online design support tools: imcreator.com, landerapp.com, landingi.com, wishpond.com, pagewiz.com, unbounce.com, leadpages.net…
Step 6: Web Design
After the keyword research phase, you will proceed to design the website according to predetermined Landing Pages.
Step 7: Content Building
It can be said that Content Building is the king factor for doing SEO.
Content discussed here refers to content for SEO and marketing to distinguish with content for articles. It appears on a page in the form of image, video, news, or post…
Content should be refreshed and paid proper attention to maintain its high quality and relevance.
Content will directly affect ranking on Google search results and is also the reason for users to decide to stay and coming back to your site.
For SEO, content is the first and most critical Google ranking factor. With an attractive and high-quality article, we can be confident that the keywords of the article will rank high on Google search results.
The final objective of SEO is approaching Customers and Google search. If either of them underestimate you, your SEO campaign is considered an absolute failure.
So How to Write Good Content for SEO?
- Choose an attractive topic containing your targeted keywords. It is recommended to choose issues of public concern and interest;
- Develop article structure;
- Put keywords in title tag, description tag and important positions;
- Start to write the article;
- Optimize keywords and create Internal Link.
What is Internal Link?
Internal Link is one of the factors to target users to webpage we SEO products page. That’s why grabbing up knowledge and well applying Internal Link will help your SEO campaign more successful.
Internal Link refers to hyperlinks that point from this page to the other ones in the same domain.
- Internal Link may be placed on the menu bar, sidebar, footer
- Internal Link can be placed in posts in form of naked link or anchor text)
Step 8: Backlink Building
Backlink is a link pointing to your website from another website (this website is called Referring Domain).
The number of Backlinks shows the importance of a website.
Backlink is among the critical factors in SEO because search engines tend to give more credit to websites with a high number of quality backlinks.
If your website is located inside high-traffic ones, your site may also get more traffic.
For example, you write a PR article on the famous newspaper and put a Backlink pointed to your website, many people may click to direct to your website.
Backlink helps Google evaluating the content of your website and figure out the keywords of content. However, it does not mean that the more Backlinks your website have, the higher ranking it receives on the search query.
So what are high-quality Backlinks?
High-quality Backlinks can be considered as those:
- pointed from websites with older domain age (can be checked by using who.is);
- pointed from websites which do not spam ones;
- from websites with high traffic (checked by using Ahrefs, Moz, SEMrush, SimilarWeb, Alexa and more);
with high interaction (more click);
- with Anchor Text as keyword;
- located inside websites having relevant content.
When building Backlinks, you also need to take into account the Nofollow and Dofollow link attributes.
- Backlink nofollow refers to Backlink that does not boost PageRank, not allow search engine bots to follow link. It generally brings website traffic but no value for SEO.
- Backlink dofollow means Backlink that allow Google to follow the link and reach your website. That kind of link helps boosting traffic and keyword ranking. When placing dofollow links, you should verify Anchor Text and avoid spam sites for not penalized by Google algorithm.
So What is the Anchor Text?
Anchor Text is the visible words or phrases containing hyperlinks pointed to other documents or websites.
It plays an important role for Google to define the content of the pointed website.
Anchor Text can be categorized into:
- Generic Anchor (Click here, Get More Info, Read This Article, Visit This Site…)
- Naked Link Anchor (a URL)
- Image Anchor (alt text)
- Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) Anchor (Anchor Texts which are closely related to keywords
- Exact match (Anchor Text with keywords reflect exact the page linked to). For example: “anchor text” links to the page about anchor text.)
Step 9: Measurement, Competitor Analysis
The final steps are Measurement, Competitor Analysis. It should be performed simultaneously with Step 3.
Gather companies or websites offering the same or similar type of your products, services, and also list potential keywords used by competitors.
Then analyze the site optimization of competitors (keyword density, META information, Internal Link, Content analysis, Design analysis, Social Media analysis, Backlink analysis…).
Depending on the type, industry, and scope of your SEO campaign, this analysis can be diversified sometimes because there are also many other influential factors – sometimes it depends on the business strategy of the company.
We hope this article is helpful for you in getting some insights into the SEO Process.
Do not forget to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn for more SEO information.